Saturday, December 17, 2005

Oh come on...

I stumbled into this somewhere, sorry for forgetting where... It's old news but anyways...

PINKETT SMITH UPSETS HOMOSEXUALS

Actress JADE PINKETT SMITH upset homosexual students during a recent speech at America's prestigious Harvard University, with her heterosexual take on gender roles.
The COLLATERAL beauty, 33, was honoured as the Artist Of The Year by the HARVARD FOUNDATION FOR INTERCULTURAL AND RACE RELATIONS in Cambridge, Massachusetts last Saturday (26FEB05).
During Pinkett Smith's acceptance speech, she said, "Women, you can have it all - a loving man, devoted husband, loving children, a fabulous career. They say you gotta choose. Nah, nah, nah. We are a new generation of women. We got to set a new standard of rules around here. You can do whatever it is you want. All you have to do is want it."
However, the Ivy League university's gay community were unimpressed with Pinkett Smith's viewpoint.
JORDAN WOODS, a co-chair of the college's BISEXUAL, GAY, LESBIAN, TRANSGENDER AND SUPPORTERS ALLIANCE (BGLTSA), fumes, "Some of the content was extremely heteronormative (to imply male/female sexual relations are normal), and made BGLTSA members feel uncomfortable."
YANNIS PAULUS of the foundation's student advisory committee responds, "She wasn't trying to be offensive."

I'm queer myself, I wear my Fuck Your Gender t-shirt with pride, I do volunteerwork for the glbt-community around here but hell... I think it's just dumb to expect that everyone should at every occasion mention that "whether you are a woman or a man or you are in a relationship with a woman or a man or..." or talk without using gender spesified words or expressions. I'm assuming Pinkett Smith is, besides hot as hell, straight, and it's natural for her to talk about having a husband. That still doesn't mean she'd be against gay people. I don't know about her thoughts on the matter so correct me if I'm wrong.

And I'd like to add that yes, male/female relations are normal. So are male/male, female/female relations.

I also had a kick about the part "a loving man, a devoted husband". Jada's saying you can have both! Is Jada polyamorous then? Wasn't that insulting to monoamorous people?

I've said in numerous occasions that I have the skin of a mimosa but only on the outside, jeez, those guys at BGLTSA are supersensitive!

No comments: